ICE LAUNCHING CONFERENCE: DAY 2
ICE’s launching conference brought together leading scientists, humanists, and public intellectuals working on fundamental questions at the forefront of cross-disciplinary research.
Saturday, October 1, 2016
9:15 a.m. – 10:50 a.m.
- Opening remarks by Dartmouth President Phil Hanlon
- Maria Popova of Brain Pickings on "Aesthetic Fact: Memory, Memetics, and How Beauty Mediates the Porous Boundary Between Art and Science"
- MIT Professor of the Practice of the Humanities, physicist, and author Alan Lightman with “The Physicist as Novelist.”
11:30 a.m. – 12:10 p.m.
- Arizona State University physicist and astrobiologist Paul Davies, director of the Beyond Center for Fundamental Concepts in Science, asks: “Are We Alone?”
2:00 p.m. – 3:40 p.m.
- Dartmouth professor of philosophy Adina Roskies on “Free Will in the Age of Neuroscience”
- Panel discussion with speakers moderated by ICE Director Marcelo Gleiser